Wednesday 8 August 2012

Landing


Panic. The landing was perfectly on schedule. Yet the feelings welled up from his very core. Spreading from the pit of his stomach. Upwards and outwards right to the tips of his fingers and toes. The skin on the back of his neck. His hair stood on end. His mouth was dry.

The flight itself was uneventful. Started on time. No delays. Nothing unforseen to interfere with the journey. The landing was a little rough, but that was not the cause of his anxiety. The door was now open. He knew that finally he had arrived. Taking a deep breath he descended the ladder. Terror turned to elation as he uttered the words:

“That’s one small step for man........
________________________________


Written for trifecta writing challenge:  incorporating the word "flight"

14 comments:

  1. perfect! I love unexpected.......

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trifecta: the first comment to my first trifecta entry and my first post.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Amazingly told. My stomach would have been in knots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Big, big step and unexpected here. The ultimate adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great narrative and surprise ending. I thougt the reference to the "ladder" was peculiar, but I never guessed what you were wrting about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story telling here. The ending done perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice end! definently didn't expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't expect the ending, but it makes the whole piece make more sense. I'd definitely have my heart in my throat if I was doing something that grand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice twist.

    My only critique is that first paragraph is very choppy, the sentences don't feel quite complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. I agree with Carrie with the slightly choppy feeling of the first paragraph. That being said, I love the unexpected ending. A very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all of you for your comments and feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only imagine the feelings that went along with that historical flight. What an experience to have had.
    Thanks for linking up with us this week. Please come on back tomorrow for the new prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! I wonder if that's how he really felt.

    ReplyDelete