Friday 31 August 2012

Mortality


Everyone said I was lucky. They moved me into the apartment,after the second fall. They told me I’d get used to it, that I’d love it. Theysaid it was nice. Look at the view, they said. There were carers who would comeand see me every day. They would bring me food. There were lots of other people.I’d soon make new friends. There were doctors and nurses, 24 hours a day –every day. It would be great.

What did they know. The clouds change. It gets light, itgets dark. Time passes, but it’s not my home.

__________________________________________________
100 words created for Friday Fictioneers based on the picture.

11 comments:

  1. How wonderfully poignant. You have to wonder what all happened before. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. What a despairing comment on life: 'it gets light, it gets dark.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad but true. Happens every day. The children can't cope so another parent gets tossed into a nursing home ...and the consolation is a lovely view. I'm 29 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me wonder what happened to her..

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sad commentary. I felt the despair that perhaps this person no longer could voice.
    http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/writers-catharsis/

    ReplyDelete
  6. palpable nonchalance and disconnection without saying it out loud. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bit dehttp://readinpleasure.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/friday-fictioneers-harmattan-rain/pressing but nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ow, that did not come out fine. I meant to say a bit depressing but nicely done. http://readinpleasure.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/friday-fictioneers-harmattan-rain/

    ReplyDelete
  9. My m-i-l felt this way about not wanting to leave her home. The sad thing is that sometimes it has to be done but it still isn't home. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Depressing,yet relevant. Watching the clouds would be an a very sad end to ones life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sad and powerful... nicely done

    ReplyDelete