Tuesday 28 August 2012

The Dinosaur


written for Trifecta week forty.
______________________________
.
They said he was a dinosaur. He was out of date, past it. They moved him into a small cubicle at the end of the corridor and left him alone. The only reason they let him stay; well, he had built the plant, singlehandedly, from nothing. He was one of the first to automate all the processing, so that it could be run from a central control room. He had done that, when all other plants were run manually. Also, they liked having him around. They could measure how great they were, by comparing the way he did things, to their way. He had no time for computers, the internet and mobile phones. He did everything manually, with calculator, pen and paper. He was a visible monument to their triumph. So it was fine for them, as long as he kept to his cubicle and left them at the controls. They knew what to do. They could keep the plant running better than he could. There was no room for history.

But how wrong they were! When the cooling system blew, the electricity went and the backup generators failed – all at the same time. They were left flapping like fish out of water. They had never seen a situation like this. It wasn’t supposed to happen. It wasn’t in the manuals. No power, so no access to the online -----databases. Under the weak glow of the emergency lights, they sat in stunned silence. When he came walking out of that cubicle at the end of the corridor, his footsteps echoed in the silence. He entered the control room. Silently, they lowered their heads and moved aside, as he assumed his old position.
______________________________

The word is dinosaur in the context:

12 comments:

  1. This is so true provides a valuable lesson. I love this story and it has a wonderful ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I think the importance of dinosaurs is often overlooked.

      Delete
  2. Satisfying ending. I've often thought about how dependent we are on those systems; I hope there are always people like that dinosaur around to pick up the pieces when they fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You told the story well. I'm left with mixed emotions after reading this. The ending was satisfying, in that he got to do what he'd done all his life and the ones who discounted his worth came to depend on him. However, it saddens me when an older generation is shoved aside, devalued. One moment of being able to shine doesn't take away the fact that the younger generations don't respect their experience and knowledge.--JannaTWrites

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant because I think true for many. I hear about such "dinosaurs" even at my husband's company. Unfortunately, those ones were forced into early retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that in a time of crisis, the old 'dinosaur' was the only one who could come to the rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved the image as he walked down the hall with echoing footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it seems a bit conflicting. He "automated" the processes yet did things manually...doesn't that contradicting?

    I do like the idea of the old ways being the better in times of need. Sometimes the fancy computers doesn't do the job as well as good old fashioned know-how

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - there is some degree of contradiction there. I had in mind, the "dinosaurs" automation being akin to switches and levers - not computers. Perhaps I should have written this in to the story.

      thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  8. This is great, Beta! I get what Carrie is saying, and I think it's a valid point. Usually, when we think of the old-school dinosaur knowing how to get things done, we don't imagine him at the helm of the computers, but I enjoyed the message nonetheless. My father is one of these guys--the guys they call to fix things that aren't covered in the manuals. I wish I had a touch of that.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete